Australian School-Based Apprenticeships & Traineeships – ASBATs are a fantastic way for students with disability to gain a start in an industry they may consider post school. BUSY Ability can assist in making this happen and come along with the student for the journey.
These are more than just part-time jobs while at school. A school-based apprenticeship or traineeship is a great way to set students up for the career they want, and they are available to Year 11 and 12 high school students.
An ASBAT combines paid work, training and schooling, as well as gaining an industry recognised national qualification they can credit towards their HSC – and some can even contribute towards an ATAR.
BUSY Ability can support students with disability to look for and gain opportunities with suitable employers, and supports the student throughout their ASBAT.
BUSY Ability has assisted many students with disability on an NDIS plan to gain and undertake an ASBAT and they have proven to be a successful way to:
– Create a pathway from school straight into work or a trade
– Gain a nationally recognised qualification upon successful completion
– Obtain real work-life skills and knowledge
– Allow a student to earn whilst they learn
– Obtain an employment history, with references for their resume
– Build confidence and communication skills
– Obtain on-the-job and off-the-job training